To start this year in blogging, I am going to introduce you to a little series called “Life Improvement”. I’m not sure how many episodes you’ll get, but I’m open for any and every idea you might have.
Why am I doing this? Well for starters, I want to be happy. I am not UNhappy at the moment, but I feel like I could do more for myself as well as Mr. Crazy Sheep Lady-to-be and so I’m investing some time, effort and research into life hacks that are actually helping me become a better person, a happier woman or just a more organized girl in general.
And without further ado, here is part 1.
Every year I want to travel and every year I can’t. It’s because there are so many great things I can buy with my money instead of saving it. I never learned how to save money, so I’ll have to learn it now. There already are a few things I’ve learned ever since I’m living on my own. Here’s a short list of how I am already saving money:
- Eating a piece of chocolate before going shopping – I’m not craving any sweets when I pass the shelves on my way to the cash-out. Yay!
- Buying clothes when they are on sale – If it’s not on sale, yet, I wait. And most of the time I forget about the item. *lol*
- Paying with my Starbucks card – If there is no credit on it anymore, no Starbucks for me! (I put money on it every three or four months. It has helped me a lot!)
- Having breakfast before going to work – That way I won’t buy anything from the bakery that I pass on my way to work.
- Recycling – tinfoil, zipper bags… but also decorations. There is no reason to buy new christmas decorations when you already have 4 huge boxes full of stuff like we do.
This is all very well and it helped me a great deal but it doesn’t get me anywhere closer to a week in San Francisco or Cork. So, here is what I’m going to do: I’ll prepare a jar, just like the picture shows. But instead of starting with 1€ (it’s hard to come by Dollar in Germany ;)) I’ll start with 52€. That way, saving money will get easier every week. And really, I don’t earn that much that I could afford to save this amount of money in december. You know, with food and presents and such…
I’ll keep you posted as to how easy this actually is for me.
And then there is this cute little idea. We have a 5 Euro bill, so I can adapt this into my little scheme to save even more money! Yaay! I’m handing them out easily, as I tend to forget about them. Putting them aside and saving them seems like a perfect idea to me. This will probably work even better than the 52 week challenge, as there are no set dates on when I have to add more money to this jar. I’ll also continue my little tradition to put all the copper coins aside and to see how much I gained at the end of the year. This year it was about 15€. Not bad at all!!
All in all I’m sure I’ll save a lot of money in 2015. And who knows? Maybe even enough to go to San Francisco AND Cork!
Do you have a different way as how to save up money for a special occasion? I’m all ears! 🙂 I hope you guys had a great day and that you started – or will start – 2015 in a happy, smooth and relaxed way.